Archive for the ‘Eggs’ Category
Let’s get one thing clear… eggs don’t cause heart disease. The years of being told by the heart association and health experts that you should limit your consumption of eggs because they cause high cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease, were debunked years ago.
Reviews of 50 years and 167 studies on food cholesterol and the risk of heart disease shows that there is not a valid correlation between the two.
Although eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs can, in some people, increase their LDL cholesterol (bad), it also increases their HDL cholesterol (good).
An increase in the ratio between the two is the real risk factor for a heart attack, and the ratio change proved to be so small, that it was not predicted to have any effect on heart disease risk. Take note as well that the minor change in the ratio that I just mentioned, happens in only about 20 to 30% of the population whose bodies’ are sensitive to cholesterol intake (they are called hyper-responders). The rest of the population, approximately 70%, sees absolutely no change in their cholesterol levels when eating eggs or other cholesterol rich foods.
Bottom- line: Hyper-responder or not, eggs have not been linked to heart disease.
The one caveat that should be mentioned: In diabetics and those with kidney disease, metabolism of cholesterol is compromised, as is much of the metabolism. Egg consumption needs to be moderate.
If you are concerned about your cholesterol levels, look at bad fats (hydrogenated oils and margarines, mass-produced oils in clear plastic bottles, high heat cooking with oils that don’t tolerate heat and all the products that contain these toxic fats) and too much sugar which causes an alteration in your blood sugar regulation and inflammation. Leave eggs out of the mix but not out of your diet.